Thursday, February 3, 2011

Glühwein

Let me preface this by saying, I am not usually a wine drinker. It's just never been my cup of tea. However, this recipe that I got from my mother is amazing. I remember her making it when I was younger and giving some to the parents of kids who were trick-or-treating. It's great for when it's cold outside.
What you'll need:
  • 1 large bottle of cheap red wine- I used Riunite Lambrusco, but feel free to chose what you'd like. Just make sure it's a sweeter wine). The bottle I used was 3 Liters.
  • 3 oranges
  • Cloves
  • Cinammon Sticks
  • 1 shot of vodka (optional)
  • Sugar (optional)
To begin, pour the wine into a large pot. I used my large stock pot (about 12 quarts). You want to be sure that the wine does not boil so set your stove on the lowest setting. I just used the "warm" setting on my stove.
Next, wash the oranges and peel off the stickers. Start poking some cloves into the oranges. It doesn't matter where you poke them into the orange. I just haphazardly put them on. Places the oranges in the pot and let it cook (covered) for a few hours. I waited 3 hours before tasting mine and I thought it turned out great. If you think it's not sweet enough, you can always add a bit of sugar. Here is the finished product. I used a soup ladel to get it out and let the rest sit on the stove on the warm setting so I can come back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment