Thursday, February 3, 2011

New Interests

Since I've had quite a bit of free time on my hands lately, I've developed some new interests. One of these is cooking. Now, I've been cooking for quite a few years, but I've mainly stuck to the basics. I'm a pretty picky eater so it's hard to find recipes for the foods I like. Well, it was hard, until I found Supercook. That website is amazing! Instead of inputting the items I had on hand, I added all the foods I like to eat. This discovery has brought me much joy (and delicious meals!). The only issue I've had was finding people to cook for. My husband is currently deployed so he's not around to cook for. Half of my friends are married and cooking for their own families and the other half are too busy partying to come over for a relaxing meal. It's really hard to get motivated to cook an entire meal when you know it'll just be you sitting alone at the table eating it. I have to eat (and save money) so I improvised.

One of the things I've done is find meals that I can freeze for later. This is perfect for the soups that I've been making, especially since the winters in Ohio are brutal. Another idea I'm trying to implement is a weekly "girls night" with one of my good friends. One week we eat dinner at my place, the next at hers. This is still a work in progress, but progress nonetheless. The last solution I've found to this problem is, just don't cook so much! For me, that's easier said than done. Since I'm new at the whole cooking for pleasure thing, I'm not really sure the quantities to use. This will get better over time, just like my meals will (I hope!). All in all, I think I'm set to continue this new hobby of mine. Hopefully I'll have some new recipes to use when my husband gets back. I know not all of them will turn out, but you never know unless you try-- and keep tons of Mac and Cheese on hand for emergencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment